- Food Processor
- Kitchen Aide Mixer, whisk attachment
- 13″ x 18″ 1/2 Sheet Pan
- Preheat over to 360 F
- 28 Sheets of Phyllo Dough
- 1 Pound Butter, melted
- 6 Cups Walnuts, toasted
- 2 Cups Pistachios, toasted
- 5 Eggs, whites only
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 TB Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Allspice
- In a food processor chop walnuts and pistachios. Set aside 1/4 cup chopped nuts.
- Put the rest of the nut mixture into a bowl.
- Add cinnamon, salt, allspice and mix thoroughly.
- In the mixer, beat egg whites to soft peaks.
- Add sugar, and beat to stiff peaks.
- Fold egg whites into the nut mixture.
- 1 Whole Cinnamon Stick
- 5 ea. Whole Allspice
- 2 Orange Peels
- 1 Cup Honey
- 1 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 3 Cups Water
- 1 1/2 tsp Rose Water
- An hour and a half into cooling, start making the syrup.
- Add the cinnamon stick, whole allspice, orange peels, honey, sugar, water, and rose water in a small pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer for 10-12 mins.
- Remove cinnamon, allspice, and orange peels from the syrup.
Method of Procedure:
- Butter the entire sheet pan; Side and bottoms
- Put 1 sheet of phyllo on the bottom of the sheet pan, bush with melted butter.
- Repeat process 9 more times, layering each sheet.
- Add half of the nut mixture on top of the phyllo.
- Layer with 8 more phyllo sheets with butter.
- Add rest of the nut mixture, layer with 10 more phyllo sheets.
- On the last layer, generously brush with butter.
- Place into the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Pull out the baklava, cut into 48 triangular pieces. Start with 24 Squares.
- Put back into the oven for another 30 minutes, recut, and let cool for 2 hours.
- After cooling for an hour and a half start making the syrup.
- Pour the syrup on the baklava evenly, top with 1/4 cup toasted nuts, let sit for 6 hours.
- Serve and enjoy!
*Also feel free to follow me on